USING YOU PUMP(S) AS A BOTTLE
Stuck on how to use one of our products?
Not sure how to clean them?
Find all the useful support information right here.
COMFORT AND PERFORMANCE: GETTING THE MOST OUT OF YOUR PUMP
We know that to get the most from your pump, comfort and fit are really important. Your Tommee Tippee In-Bra Wearable pump comes with unique features that're designed to help.
Our smart ConstantComfort™ technology is specially designed to mimic your baby’s natural suckling motion and holds your pump(s) securely in place for an effective, yet gentle pumping experience.
Comfort is key when you're pumping and using the right sized horn can make all the difference.
We include 24mm and 28mm horns as standard, but if the 24mm and 28mm horns don’t fit comfortably, you can order alternative sizes (17mm, 18mm and 20mm).
Intensity and mode
Once your pump is aligned, fits well and is comfortable to wear, the only thing left is to choose your preferred settings. We offer two modes, massage, and expression.
• Massage mode (also called Stimulation) encourages the initial let down of milk. A lower pressure is applied at a higher frequency, similar to how babies initially suck when they first latch on.
• Expression mode effectively and efficiently draws milk out after let-down at a lower frequency in the same way that babies do when drinking milk. Choose between eight pressure levels to find the most comfortable, most effective setting for you.
In the app, you can switch between massage and expression mode whenever you like, because every person and every session is different.
Aligning your nipple
Correct nipple alignment is a key factor in breast milk expression, much like a deep latch when breastfeeding. To help, your new Tommee Tippee pump includes a unique nipple alignment guiding light that makes it easy to align your nipple, even in low-light.
The nipple alignment guide is a red light that projects out of the horn and onto your breast when you first turn on the pump. This light helps you guide your nipple into the centre of the horn which we know is important for both comfort and output.
To use the nipple alignment light…
1. Turn your pump on and direct the red spotlight towards your nipple
2. Hold your breast with your other hand and move the pump closer to your nipple, ensuring the centre of the spotlight stays in the centre of your nipple until the pump is in place.
Bra strap adjusters
Another important consideration is the fit of your pump in your bra. Too much compression can feel uncomfortable, too little can feel insecure. We’ve included bra adjusters in your pack just in case you need them. Hook them on to your nursing bra to extend the cup.
ASSEMBLING YOUR PUMP(S)
Your pump arrives assembled. Please disassemble, clean and sterilise before first use. See the next section for cleaning and sterilising instructions.
1. Choose your preferred horn/flange (24mm or 28mm nipple/teat diameter) and insert into the pump body.
2. With the collector bottle components assembled, clip into the bottom of the pump body.
CHARGING YOUR PUMP(S)
Before using your pump for the first time, we recommend a full charge using the cable and plug provided.
It’s important to fully charge your pump when the battery is low (indicated by a red light). When charging the pump, wait for the battery light to turn green. This indicates that the pump is fully charged and ready to use.
• The pump cannot be used whilst charging.
• You should only use the cable and plug provided with this product.
• A full charge offers up to four hours of use per pump.
• Please make sure the device is turned off before plugging in the USB cable to charge.
• The device turns off automatically after 10 minutes of idle time.
USING YOUR IN-BRA WEARABLE ELECTRIC BREAST PUMP(S)
Turning on your pump(s)
Once fully assembled, press the power button to turn the pump on.
Starting your session
Once the pump is turned on and in position, press play/pause to start pumping.
If you need to pause pumping at any point, press play/ pause.
For a more discreet and convenient user experience, you can use your Tommee Tippee app to start and pause your pumping session.
Choosing your intensity and mode
Your wearable breast pump has two modes – massage and expression. We know every parent, and every day, are different so, in the app, you can move between modes with the tap of a button at any point during your session.
Some prefer to alternate, others find one mode setting that works for them and stick with it.
• Massage mode – Also known as stimulation mode, this mode uses a higher frequency, lower intensity suction which mimics how your baby first stimulates the breast to encourage milk flow.
• Expression mode – This mode uses slower sucks to draw your milk out and into the collector bottles effectively. In expression mode, there are eight intensity settings. Choose a level that's comfortable for you. Remember this may well change per session and even from one breast to the other, and a higher intensity setting does not always mean a higher volume of milk. Your comfort is more important.
• Automatic pause – Your wearable breast pump will automatically pause when the collector bottle is full. If you want to continue to pump, you will need to submit the session, so it's registered in the analysis page in your app before you empty the collector and start a new session.
• Session duration – As a safety feature, we’ve also limited each session duration to 30 minutes, at the end of which the pump will pause and you will be unable to restart. If you do want to continue, you will need to start a new session.
• Leak protection – The pump will also pause if you lean too far over to reduce the risk of leaking. This is unlikely to occur in general use but if it does, simply sit/stand up straight and resume pumping.
• Lights – The lights on the pump (nipple alignment spotlight and button lights) will automatically turn off after one minute during use for discretion, but you can press any button to re-illuminate the light.
USING YOUR APP
ENDING YOUR SESSION
• Once you've finished your session…
• Pause and finish the cycle and follow the instructions in your app to collect every last drop, leaning forward for a moment before using your finger to break the seal between the pump and your breast.
• At this stage, you can also manually alter the volume of breast milk collected if you find the amount shown in the app doesn’t quite match up to what’s in the collector bottle.
• It's handy to know that foremilk has a lighter consistency than hindmilk which can impact the accuracy of the reading.
• When you’re ready to remove the collector bottle, simply press the large button at the front of the pump to release the latch that holds the bottle in place.
• Once the session has been added to your app's analysis page, you can simply turn the pump off, wash and sterilise the parts that require cleaning, and charge the pump body using the USB cable and plug as required.
USING YOU PUMP(S) AS A BOTTLE
To make it even easier to feed your baby the breast milk you’ve expressed, your pump's milk collector bottle is compatible with our nipples/teats, so you can use it just like a regular bottle.
To do this, assemble the nipple/teat to the screw ring, attach to the milk collector, and you’re ready to feed!
To store your breast milk for later, remove the collector bottle sub-assembly from the pump and put in the fridge or freezer as preferred. If freezing, ensure the bottle isn’t over-filled and does not exceed the maximum capacity (5 fl oz).
Alternatively, store your breastmilk in line with healthcare guidelines.
• Your wearable breast pump must be cleaned and sterilised before every use.
• Always disassemble components before cleaning or sterilising.
• The pump body (F) should not be washed or sterilised. It contains electronics that must be kept dry. Instead, please use a clean, damp cloth to wipe it as and when required.
• All the parts intended for washing can go in top rack of dishwasher and can be sterilised using microwave, steam, UV or rolling boil sterilisation.
I CAN'T GET COMFORTABLE WITH THE 24 OR 28MM HORN, WHAT SHOULD I DO?
Your instruction manual includes two semi-circles to help you measure up. If your nipple is 20mm or smaller, you can order a new sizing.
WHAT CAN I DO IF I'M NOT GETTING ENOUGH MILK?
Your breast milk supply may fluctuate over time, but if you notice you’re getting less than what's normal for you, try checking…
• The alignment of your nipple: The centre of your nipple should be positioned in the centre of the horn.
• Your horn size: The horn should feel comfortable and shouldn't draw in too much of your breast tissue. If the included 24mm and 28mm horns don’t fit comfortably, you can order alternative sizes (17mm, 18mm and 20mm).
• The seal: Your pump should feel very secure once the pumping program starts.
• The fit in your bra: If the pump feels squashed against your breasts, try one of the provided bra strap adjusters to loosen the fit slightly.
• The settings: Everyone is different, so finding the setting that's comfortable and effective for you will help maintain a steady breast milk supply.
I CAN'T SEE MY NIPPLE ENTERING THE HORN. HOW DO I KNOW IF IT'S IN THE RIGHT PLACE?
Use the nipple alignment light to make sure your nipple is placed in the centre of the horn before expressing.
Your whole nipple should fit comfortably without much, if any, of the areola entering the tunnel before you start pumping, and it should move freely in and out of the tunnel while you pump without causing rubbing, redness, or pain.
DO I HAVE TO DOWNLOAD THE APP?
No you don’t, but we recommend that you do to get the most out of your pump. Your pump can also be used offline. Simply press the power button and use the left and right buttons to adjust intensity. In offline mode, the power button shows solid white.
WHY WON’T MY PUMP PAIR TO THE APP?
Your pump uses Bluetooth to pair to your phone. Download the Tommee Tippee app, register an account and login in. Turn on your pump and then press and hold the power button until the LED light flashes blue. A pop-up will appear in the app, and then you can add your pump. You'll need to do this for each pump if you have bought a pair.
HELP, I TRIED THE PUMP FOR A MINUTE TO SEE IF IT WORKED AND IT DIDN'T LOG ANYTHING!
If a session lasts for one minute or less, the readings default to zero and the data won't be added to your insights page. This is to stop incomplete session data from being logged.
WHY ISN'T MY APP DISPLAYING THE RIGHT AMOUNT OF MILK?
Your wearable pump uses a sensor to estimate how much milk you've pumped. This can be affected by several things like milk consistency (foremilk vs. hindmilk), movement, angle of use and sensor interference.
Make sure the small black sensor is free of debris and sit or stand upright at the end of your session for best results.
For more accurate insights, we recommend using the markings on the collector bottle and adjusting the in-app slider to match the amount of milk you've pumped.
WHY IS MY APP TELLING ME THERE'S MILK IN THE COLLECTOR BOTTLE WHEN THERE ISN'T?
The accuracy of the milk measurement in the app can be affected by a shiny, well-lit, or white surface like a kitchen countertop or the inside of a white bra. We recommend using the collector bottle markings for an accurate measure of milk collected, then you can adjust the in-app slider to match the amount of milk you've pumped.
WHY DOES MY MILK SENSOR CONSTANTLY READ "FULL"?
The milk level measurement can be interrupted if the sensor has any milk residue on it. Use a damp cloth to wipe the black lens on the underside of the pump body to make sure it's clean.
WHY DOES MY MILK SENSOR CONSTANTLY READ "FULL" IF THE SENSOR IS CLEAN?
Even if it's clean, the milk level measurement can be interrupted if the lower lid (part I) is scratched. If yours is scratched, replace it with one of the spares.
WHY DOES MY PUMP LOSE CONNECTION WITH MY PHONE?
Your pump uses Bluetooth to communicate with phone. Move the phone closer to your pump to re-establish the connection during the session.
Don’t worry, your app will update to reflect the time and estimated output information once the connection is re-established.
HOW DO I UPGRADE MY FIRMWARE?
Your pump is smart which means it can evolve even after you've purchased it and we'll update the app wherever possible to improve your pumping experience, so it's important that you keep your app up to date to make sure you can access all the latest features.
Don’t worry, you'll receive a notification if there's an update available!
WHAT CAN THE APP SHOW ME?
The Tommee Tippee app has two sections…
A remote control section: This lets you choose between massage and expression, adjust the intensity and register which breast you're using. It shows a visual of how full your milk collector bottle is so that you don't have to check in your bra and also tells you how long you've been pumping. You can start, pause, and end your session in the app.
A session tracking and summary section: This section provides a summary view of your previous sessions in two tabs. The first shows the last 24 hours and provides a timeline which shows which breast was used, how much milk was produced, how long the session lasted and what settings were used. The second tab shows a more in-depth summary showing a daily average over the last five days, split by breast.
HOW CAN I ACCESS AND REVIEW INSIGHTS USING THE APP?
WHY DOES THE MILK FLOW DROP OFF WHEN I LEAN BACK?
You might feel a temporary reduction in milk flow when you're reclined because the milk has to fight against gravity to reach the collector bottle. Increase the intensity setting or sit up straight to recover milk flow. For best results, we recommend sitting or standing upright so your milk can flow, and your pump can maintain a consistent latch throughout your session.
WHY DOESN’T THE SUCTION FEEL LIKE IT DID?
Make sure that all parts of your pump are thoroughly cleaned, sterilised and free of milk residue before each use. This is particularly important for the diaphragm assembly (part H) and duckbill valve (part J) which can be a little sticky, so we recommend pinching them to make sure they can open before assembly.
Check that the collector bottle is inserted firmly in the bottom of your pump, and make sure that your pump has a full battery.
HOW DO I STORE MILK IN THE COLLECTOR BOTTLE?
Your pack comes with spare parts so the entire collector bottle assembly can be stored upright in the fridge or freezer until you're ready to feed. If you have a compatible hood or storage lid this can be used.
HOW DO I CONVERT THE COLLECTOR BOTTLE INTO A FEEDING BOTTLE?
Simply remove the diaphragm and lid assembly from the top of the collector bottle, assemble the teat and screw ring and screw in place.
CAN I USE ADVANCED ANTI-COLIC TEATS WITH THE COLLECTOR TO CONVERT TO A BOTTLE?
No, the collector is only compatible with Closer to Nature® teats, but you can transfer your breast milk into an Advanced Anti-Colic bottle for feeding.
WILL THE COLLECTOR WORK WITH SCREW RINGS AND TEATS FROM ANOTHER BRAND?
The collector is only compatible with Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature screw rings and teats.
WHY DOES MY MILK LEAK OUT OF THE HORN WHEN I REMOVE IT FROM MY BREAST?
For best results, remove the pump from your breast with it tilted forward when you press 'save' to pull through any remaining milk into the collector bottle.
HELP! MY PUMP MAKES A FUNNY NOISE EVERY SO OFTEN DURING A SESSION. IT WORKS FINE BUT FEELS LIKE THE SUCTION DROPS OFF A BIT.
To more accurately mimic breastfeeding, our Constant Comfort™ suction includes a pause every few "sucks". This helps with comfort and is more effective at expressing milk.
CAN I RUN THE MASSAGE MODE WHEN MY PUMP IS OFFLINE?
No, massage mode is only available through the app. Offline, you can choose between intensity settings 1-8 in expression mode.
WHY DOES MY PUMP PAUSE?
This will happen if your collector bottle is full or after 30 minutes of use. After 30 minutes you’ll need to start a new pumping session, either with your existing collector or another. The pump can also pause if you lean too far over, simply sit, or stand up, and resume pumping.
WHY HAVE THE LIGHTS ON MY PUMP HAVE GONE OFF?
The lights automatically turn off after one minute of use for discretion. Press any button to reilluminate them.